Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Hamburger Soup with or without Noodles


My Grandma used to make hamburger soup, and I always loved it!
I guess I have always been a huge fan of soups in general, and always LOVED my veggies!

I used to take soup to school in a thermos when I was in grade school.
No PB&J for this girl... no way!

My all time favorite canned soup as a kid was Campbell's Noodles and Ground Beef


Ever hear of it?
Well, they went and discontinued it.
The only place I could even come close to finding something even like it is at our bowling ally... I know, quit laughing!



So my Grandma always made hamburger soup, and I thought maybe I could come close to my old favorite if I added noodles.
It wasn't exact, by no means, but it helps when I have a hankering for my discontinued friend.
I love typing up this particular recipe, because I can remember the exact moment she shared it with me.
I was sitting at her kitchen table, and she was reading it to me, and I was writing it on the notecard that sits in front of me right now.
I miss my Grandma.  Every Day.
If you are lucky to still have yours, make sure and spend all the time you can with her!




Hamburger Soup
with or without noodles

(I always double this recipe when I make it)

1 pound ground beef
5 cups of water
1 - 16 ounce canned tomatoes
2 small onions, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
2 stalks of celery, sliced
1/2 Tablespoon parsley
1/4 cup barley (I use a little more, we love it!)
1/4 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 Tablespoon instant beef bouillon
Salt and Pepper to taste
Egg Noodles (I used Kluski Noodles,) optional

*I usually amp up my veggies, because we like lots of them, don't be afraid to add more or something different, I have cut small potatoes into it before, or green beans, too *

In a large pot, salt and pepper ground beef to taste, and brown it with your onions.
Drain. Place back in pot.

*at this point you could add ingredients to your crock pot or continue on the stove*

Add the rest of your ingredients and bring to a boil.
Reduce and Simmer for 1 1/2 hours.

Add your prepared noodles before serving if desired.

If you make in your crock pot, just cook it on low all day.






2 comments:

  1. Great recipe for a hearty soup. But I especially love the way this recipe connects you to your grandmother. When they talk about "food is love", this is what they mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this recipe. Like you, I took soup to school in my thermos, and Noodles & Ground Beef was my fave! I've been looking for it for ages, and then looked for a copycat recipes when I found out Campbell's had discontinued making it. I can't wait to make your version. Love and gratitude to you and your Grandmother.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment on my blog. My readers mean the world to me!