Thursday, October 20, 2011

Chocolate Macaroon Tunnel Bundt Cake



Happy birthday to my sweet hubby!!

My husband's favorite cake has always been chocolate macaroon.


chocolate macaroon tunnel cake

Many moons ago, when my husband and I were planning our wedding, and I was having bridal showers, my Aunt Carol gave me my first (and only) bundt cake pan.  She had remembered Brian mentioning his love of this cake.  Inside the cake pan was the box mix for Chocolate Macaroon.

 I think it was Pillsbury that made it?

Anywho.... he was excited and I baked it for him for his birthday.



no need to put ALL of those holes in the cake with THAT many candles. four will do


The very next year, they quit making it.

Now I am not a fan of coconut, so if it wasn't his favorite cake,
this would have gone totally unnoticed by me.

But it was.

I searched high and low, and couldn't find one anywhere.

For years I tried to find him one that was similar, or maybe turn him on to a new cake?

One year I made this tall gorgeous Waldorf Astoria cake.

Red  is his FAVORITE color...

The cake was gorgeous!! But, it weighed about 50 pounds.

Epic fail.

I am most definitely a cake mix kinda girl!!

Well, back in the dark ages when we got married, and the cake was ripped from the grocery shelves,  Google wasn't even born yet.  It wasn't like today when you can just hop on your computer, or your phone for that matter and find whatever you want!!

But once google was born, I started trying recipes that said they tasted like the old box mix.

Year after year I tried. 

Bless his heart, he was so sweet to say "it's okay, I mean it's close...but not quite there"
He ate them every time so I wouldn't feel bad.

Finally, I decided to take a couple of different recipes and tweak them and merge them and
By George,  I had it!! 
I think his words were something like "You FINALLY did it!!"

In our house, on your birthday, you get to choose what you would like me to make you for dinner. 
(trust me when I say, that this gets VERY interesting with twins.
Most often their requests don't exactly "go" together!)

Then your dinner is served on "the birthday plate."
(compliments of my friend Candi who sent these to me long ago. Yes, of course, we have two!)

Brian's request last night was spaghetti and meatballs.  I made it using my spaghetti sauce I canned a couple of months ago. 


spaghetti with meatballs on the birthday plate

We enjoyed a dinner of spaghetti and meatballs with a side of sweet corn (don't ask me, he said his Mom always made corn when she made spaghetti... it's his birthday I didn't ask questions!! ;)
 and ciabatta cheese bread.

After his dinner I brewed some decaf coffee and we blew out candles and enjoyed his cake!


it looks like a giant donut from this angle!  That "puddle" of icing in the middle is the BOMB.  just sayin'....

In our family when one of us has a birthday, after the birthday person blows out the candles, we go in order of "who's birthday is next" and they get a trial run at the candles!


one of our twins... he's got four candles down, now he needs to get nine next month!



So here is the recipe that I use for his birthday cake every year.


I just have to say that when I put this on the fireplace to take a picture, my boxer looked at it then at me with that look like "For ME?!?!"




Chocolate Macaroon Tunnel Bundt Cake

Cake
One Chocolate Cake Mix- prepared according to box instructions
(I have used German Chocolate or Devils Food)

Filling
2 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups flaked coconut
2 Tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons vanilla

Glaze
2 cups powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon butter 2 Tablespoons Milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
for chocolate glaze you can add 2 Tablespoons of cocoa to the above mixture.
(I glaze with both flavors.  Because did I mention how good that puddle of icing int he middle is?!?!)

If you're in a hurry, you can cheat and microwave frosting in a can and drizzle over the top. 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray your bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray.

Prepare cake mix as per box instructions.  In a separate bowl mix up the coconut filling.

Pour about 1/2 of the cake mix into your bundt pan. Now spoon filling in a "tunnel" on top of the batter.
Be careful not to let the filling touch the pan.



 Now pour and evenly cover the tunnel with the rest of the batter.  

Bake the cake for 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Cool in pan for 20-30 minutes and turn onto a plate to cool the rest of the way.

Drizzle with frosting if you desire.




15 comments:

  1. copied and this cake I can't wait to make!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this looks absolutely gorgeous, especially with all the glaze dribbling down the sides!

    Lucky your dog didn't get to it, here, I have to watch out for my cats ;-)

    Paula @ Spoons 'n' Spades

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous. I love the story. I knew that was Brian's favorite but I didn't know you worked all these years to perfect it. I love that cake stand too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michaela, this looks droolishious! Bet my hubby would love it, we'll find out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Great story too! Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Michaela, just found your cake on Pinterest for the Chocolate Macaroon Bundt cake. You story is remarkably similar to mine. I must be older than you because my family enjoyed the Pillsbury Bundt cake for quite a few years before they took it off the market. Like you, I searched and searched for a replacement to no avail and started trying to make my own. After many so so attempts, I finally came up with a recipe, similar to yours but a bit different, that my family thinks is perfect! My kids are grown and gone now and my husband has passed, but this cake shows up at all our gatherings. I'm going to try yours and if you'd like to try mine, email me and I'll send the recipe. I don't have a blog or anything. Sincerely, rosniebuhr@gmail.com. Roslyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roslyn,
      I would love to try your cake recipe!! My husband would be THRILLED to have me guinea pig a recipe for something her loves! :) Our stories are similar, and I love when readers of my blog share theirs with me! Thank you for visiting my site!!
      Hugs, Michaela

      Delete
  7. Hi Michaela & Roslyn I too share the ground with your similar story. I can remember back in the 70's when my mamma would make it for us and we all loved it. I remember the contrast between the dark chocolate cake and that dense wonderful coconut middle. Mom would make it for our family & friends. On the day of her best friend's passing, we looked from the grave site to the snow dusted dark mountains behind us, and we all laughed that it made us think of that cake! Mom has gone home to be with Jesus, and this cake will always hold a sweet special place in my heart... thanks for filling my heart with love from your post.
    Blessings to you both!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen!! What a sweet story!! I am making this cake on Thursday, for my hubby's birthday!! Thank you for taking the time to share your story with me!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love the other recipe my family always does chocolate bundt with brown sugar frostung it has been a family staple for years and i loved your stories and i would enjoy sharing your recipes with my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! <3

      Delete
  10. Thanks for this recipe. I just pulled mine out of the oven, I can tell that the coconut didn't move much. But I'm sure it's going to be good. I'm going to blog it tonight or tomorrow when I get a chance and will link it back to your recipe. If you want to see it my blog is: sweetdreamscreations.wordpress.com
    Thanks again, chocolate and coconut are my hubby's favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing my recipe!! I hope that your hubby loved it as much as mine does!!

      Delete
  11. Oh WOW! I just found your recipe...We too loved the mix from the 70s and have missed it so much. I often check out the cake mix area of the store just to see if they have come to their senses and brought it back!! Ha! Thanks so much for sharing. I will give it a try...LOVE coconut!! Made my day!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you found me! Now you don't have to wait anymore!! :) Please visit often!!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment on my blog. My readers mean the world to me!