Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Shrimp Pad Thai Wonder Pot



A couple of weeks ago I tried a dish that I had been wanting to for some time now called 

Ever see the commercials for V8?
The ones where they smack themselves in the head?

That's how I felt after I had made this so simple, so delicious meal for the first time!

WHY?!?!?
Why, had I waited SO LONG?!?!



Well, it only got me to thinking more and more about how to switch it up, how to make other versions.  

I looked on Pinterest, and on google to see what I could see and both of them made me thinking 
THAI!

I found this original recipe for One Pot Wonder Thai Peanut Pasta at apronstringsblog.com
Then after I looked a bit, I found another blogger, Hungry Hannah, that switched up this same recipe and made it her own, she called it Easy One-Pot Pad Thai.  I pretty much looked at both of them, and used a little of each.



You don't need to add meat to this at all, but I love shrimp in my pad Thai, so I went that route.
You could also add chicken if you wanted, or just leave it the way it is!



Shrimp Pad Thai Wonder Pot

12 ounces linguine pasta
32 ounces of chicken stock (or vegetable)
1 medium sized onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup water
1 red bell pepper, sliced (about 1- 1 1/2 cups)
1 1/2 cups matchstick carrots (I bought a bag of already shredded carrots, worked great!)
1 Tablespoon ginger paste, or the same fresh grated
tops of 3 green onions (shallots), divided
1 1/2 cup salted roasted peanuts, slightly chopped, divided
1 pound shrimp, cleaned, optional
1 cup cilantro, slightly chopped, divided
1/2- 1 cup bean sprouts
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 Tablespoons Peanut Butter
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more if your prefer it spicier) 
1 1/2 Tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 1/2 teaspoons red curry paste
2 Tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
Fresh lime, sliced for serving

In a large pot, pour water and chicken stock.
To this add the following: pasta, onion, garlic, bell pepper,  carrots,  3/4 of both shallots and cilantro, (reserve some for serving) 1 cup of peanuts, (reserve rest for serving) soy sauce, peanut butter, red pepper flakes, honey, sesame oil, curry paste and lime juice.

Place lid on pot and turn on high.  Let it come to a boil, give it a stir, and reduce to a simmer.
Cover and cook for about 6 minutes.
(stir every couple minutes, so nothing sticks.)

Dump in shrimp and bean sprouts, stir and cover, let it cook for about 6 minutes more, until shrimp are steamed, and pasta is cooked.
There will be a small amount of sauce in the bottom.

Serve topped with remaining shallots, cilantro and peanuts, with a lime slice to squeeze if desired.

If you are adding chicken, you would most likely want to add it at the beginning to make sure it's cooked properly.  I have not tried it with chicken, but if I do, I will amend this recipe.







14 comments:

  1. G'day! This looks scrumptious and wish i could come through the screen and try some now!
    Cheers! Joanne
    http://whatsonthelist.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing and I can't believe it can all be done so simply in one pot! Beautiful dish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a doubter, too!! So glad I tried it! :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful dish...I must try it soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Following the post from Enjoying yummy Recipes, this pad Thai looks absolutely mouth watering! www.culinaryflavors.gr

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely love this post! So much so that I featured it on http://foodisloverecipes.com !!! Fantastic Recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment on my blog. My readers mean the world to me!